Anthony's Skating Rink

Along Route 117 within the town of Coventry, RI on the southwestern banks of the Pawtucket River once stood Anthony's Skating Rink in the Anthony VillageIt was built in the fall of 1922 by the Anthony Mill.  Along a small brook running through the highway into the mill stream and bordering on the road stood a piece of swamp land where the rink was constructed.  It quickly became known as the hockey pond and in 1925 the rink opened with a regular schedule of games between crack teams.  
Frank P. Whooley, manager of the rink, and F.R. Budlong, superintendent of the mill, also played on the Anthony Hockey Club team.  Budlong (a former Hope, Brown and Providence Hockey Club member) was captain and goaltender.  Other players included former Providence Hockey Club members; A.M. Budlong, F.B. Read and Earl Budlong.  Dan Thorndike and Jimmy Hart of the East Side Hockey Club and all-around great athlete Curley Oden also played.  In 1931 the Pawtucket Hockey League leased the rink with teams; Anthony Reds, Crompton Tigers, Wescott Arrows and the Interlaken Hockey Club.